首页Master作品招聘招标动态热帖杂志帮助搜索注册登录Blog  积分 简历  

» ABBS 论坛 » 考试及留学论坛 » 留学  

动态热帖招聘杂志 

reply to topic
threaded modego to previous topicgo to next topic
Re:23所美国建筑学院 (Nomad兄请进)   [精华]
daqla

发贴: 119

2001-04-24 21:31 查看他的注册信息   查看他的Blog 给他发送悄悄话 引用并回帖 搜索他发表的帖子 复制到剪贴板. 
不过只适用于IE 收藏这篇帖子
Nomad兄:

闻言大悟.选老师当然是好办法,但似乎可操作性不强?以一个国内大学生的见识,如何去认识许多国外的好老师?即便认识,也总是凤毛麟角.不了解情况,不知孰高孰低,怎么选择呀?一般人的问题恰恰就是不了解各校的师资情况,查学校排名也实在是无可奈何.Daqla脑子不灵,心想总不能列出校名来一个个问Nomad兄,若如此Nomad可以出书啦 !

长路漫漫,举目茫然.还请Nomad兄不吝赐教,指点迷津.

找介绍师资情况的专业网站 & 读国外的建筑期刊Review,Digest.....?

Daqla

Nomad edited on 2001-07-25 08:20

安装abbs app,获取同行最快信息。请到各大手机应用市场搜索abbs 或扫码下载:

Nomad

发贴: 1982
2001-04-26 08:39 查看他的注册信息   查看他的Blog 给他发送悄悄话 引用并回帖 搜索他发表的帖子 复制到剪贴板. 
不过只适用于IE 收藏这篇帖子
daqla兄:

去年十二月南昌特级师哥woopoo兄找我聊聊美国学校。woopoo兄与众不同,一开口竟然问及30所高校。其实我的见识交游很有限,没法向他一一介绍30所学校的情况。下面是那次回复woopoo的一些东东,不过逢场作兴,管见而已,还请个路大虾补充指正。

Nomad 微笑

==============================================================

美国建筑院校 (woopoo征美野心版)

carnegie mellon is in pittsburgh, not a big city and it is known for computational design, a way of design thinking that is very mechanical...computers design army barracks etc.

clemson univsity is near atlanta city. it is a small place and they have just advertised for some teachers. a friend of mine teaches there and is chair of the search committee. [I have a more recent post about this univ. on ABBS.]

columbia univ is in new york and is one of the most famous. tschumi is the dean. very trendy place. high rent if you want to live in Manhattan but mostly i think you can live in nearby New Jersey. frampton was said to be thinking about leaving columbia when mark wigley was appointed, but i have not heard if he had decided to go.

georgia tech has a couple of OK teachers like sabir khan and mark cottle, but no one very famous.

IIT is to the west of the central business district of chicago. i don't think it is highly regarded anymore now that mies is dead. dunno who is teaching there...(ben nicholson was there? can't remember...)

iowa state univ is in Ames, Iowa. it has a few interesting theorists Bob Segrest, Jennifer Bloomer, Catherine Ingraham, Mark Rakatansky. these are people with reputation. I have not heard of the iowa state univ of science and technology.

MIT is very good. the shops around mit are very boring. one finds it hard to get a decent dinner there. My former student Ken is just finishing 1st year of MArch there. Surprisingly, Charles Correa (Bombay/Mumbai)) is professor there. Bill Mitchell is Dean and is a more mainstream thinker about computing compared with the guys at Carnegie Mellon.

i'd never heard of north carolina state univ but i checked their web page just now. no one famous there.

penn state univ. is in State College, PA. I have been there several times. It is in a very small town, 4 hours' drive outside philadelphia. The most important teacher there is Donald Kunze, a theorist who is admired in america, especially by the PhD people at UPenn. He has a nice web site too. His PhD is on the philosophy of Vico (a contemporary of Descartes) and the idea of place. Kunze does not have the stature and fame of UPenn teachers like Leatherbarrow and Rykwert, but in my mind I group him with famous people interested in hermeneutics such as Perez-Gomez (McGill), Frascari (Virginia Tech), Dalibor Vesely (Cambridge Univ), Peter Carl (Cambridge University). Don Kunze has a large dining room with a large fireplace. He plays the piano, has cats, teaches online courses, likes Hitchcock films. Dan Willis is also teaching at Penn State and he has published a book of essays recently with Princeton Architectural Press. He lives in a two-bedroom house, quite large. An (even younger and also quite cute) teacher there is Michael Jemtrud (who has only one arm and is a student of Perez-Gomez). Katsuhiko Muramoto is also a nice teacher there; elegant person. Katsu has a nice old car (expensive model, I think) in the middle of his house.

Rensselaer's dean is Alan Balfour, who wrote a book on berlin. balfour was chairman of the AA in London but he didn't get along with people there and so he left after a brief stay. I checked their list of faculty for you. My impression is that this is a 1970s staff list with an emphasis on conventional architectural science. It's not a place that one goes to if one's main interest is in design or in history and theory. It is one of the few places in America that tries to promote itself for expertise in architectural lighting.

Rice is a famous and rich private university in Houston, Texas. Houston is a city for cars. Hot weather. The Dean Lars Lerup has just published a new book (I think, with MIT Press). This school is not hugely in the limelight but has some good teachers. Zhang Yonghe became assistant professor there when Lerup was first appointed there. It has an interesting www architecture magazine, but you need a fast computer and Shockwave software. (My little SONY laptop crashed when I tried to look at the magazine!) Nana Last (new teacher who did her PhD at MIT) is one of the brightest young scholars in the field. Sanford Kwinter is a middle aged teacher (although he might not like me for saying so) and is well known for his work on theory. He is a buddy of Jim Corner at UPenn.

SUNY Buffalo. This is a cold city about 2 hours' drive from Toronto. It has a serious comparative literature department including famous contemprary theorists such as Gasche (who wrote on deconstruction) and Elizabeth Grosz (one of the few feminists who is respected by architects). Lynda Schneekloth and her husband teaches architecture there, and they are very good quality. (Quite nice design culture in the school from what I could see.) Their dean is italian and was (or is?) friendly with Frascari.

Syracuse Univ has Mark Linder (a recent PhD graduate from Princeton Univ who has some reputation for theoretical work about the 1960s) and Julia Czerniak (who has a rising reputation in landscape architecture, if I am not mistaken). There seems to be some connection with Cornell there because quite a few teachers have degrees from Cornell.

Tulane Univ School of Architecture has nice new desks for the studios (but I have never been there). Geoffrey Baker, the English scholar who wrote some books on Corbusier, is professor there. (if one were a theorist, one wouldn't necessarily be interested in Baker's spatial analysis, but it may be useful to beginners in architectural design). Elizabeth English (PhD student from UPenn) is listed as a teacher...she's an unusual person with engineering interests as well as hisory and theory. (She'd be more famous if she talked less at dinners.) There are quite a few interesting associate professors (e.g. Elizabeth Yates, Burns Gamard, Scott Bernhard). I have the impression that this is a school for designers and people who take a cultural view of architecture. Unusual sense of consistency in cultivating a middling but interesting staff profile.

UCLA, UPenn, Harvard, SCI-Arch...well, i have already written about these on ABBS. i have never heard of auburn univ....why do you want to go there?

Univ of Florida (Gainesville) has some connections with the New York scene through some of its younger teachers. Nina Hofer is one of the brightest younger teachers of architecture in the US. Kim Tanzer has a good reputation also. Mario Gooden has worked for Steven Holl and Zaha Hadid. Some of the older teachers are not as interesting (to me).

Univ of Kansas School of Architecture has one of the worst web sites among US schools of architecture. James Mayo, a professor there, is well known for his work on social aspects of architecture.

Unversity of Kentucky has a very ordinary-looking staff list. It seems to be a kind of small school where PhD graduates from the famous universities might spend a short time before they get better jobs. So it is possible that there are a few good design teachers there.

University of Maryland has two famous scholars for the study of modern Italian architecture, Richard Etlin (rather tall man) and Thomas Schmacher. Miriam Gusevich has a good reputation for history and theory. My impression is that this school has substantial staffing in architectural history. The approach to architectural history does not seem especially innovative but the work is solid and good quality.

Nomad edited on 2001-11-03 16:47

Rommel_No1

发贴: 47
2002-12-12 18:02 查看他的注册信息   查看他的Blog 给他发送悄悄话 发送email给 Rommel_No1 引用并回帖 搜索他发表的帖子 复制到剪贴板. 
不过只适用于IE 收藏这篇帖子
it is better to go to france to study architecture!!

Flowing_w

发贴: 855
2002-12-13 08:53 查看他的注册信息   查看他的Blog 给他发送悄悄话 发送email给 Flowing_w 引用并回帖 搜索他发表的帖子 复制到剪贴板. 
不过只适用于IE 收藏这篇帖子
请问Nomad,Washington State University怎样?这个学校有许多校舍,Pullman,Spokane,那个比较好?好像M.Arch的课程只在Spokane啊。
在Pullman的MS.Landscape Architecture怎样?

谢谢。

Nomad

2002-12-13 11:32 查看他的注册信息   查看他的Blog 给他发送悄悄话 引用并回帖 搜索他发表的帖子 复制到剪贴板. 
不过只适用于IE 收藏这篇帖子
Flowing_w兄:

据我所知,Pullman和Spokane都有建筑课程。Spokane有华人老师David Wang,嘻嘻!Pullman有吾友Nathaniel Coleman,宾大博士也。

至於Pullman的MS.Landscape Architecture,我一无所知,不好意思~~

Nomad

Nomad edited on 2002-12-13 11:32
Flowing_w

2002-12-13 19:40 查看他的注册信息   查看他的Blog 给他发送悄悄话 发送email给 Flowing_w 引用并回帖 搜索他发表的帖子 复制到剪贴板. 
不过只适用于IE 收藏这篇帖子
谢谢Nomad兄,请问哪个校园的建筑系好呢?WSU怎么样啊?
今天收到WSU Pullman的mail,
"You applied for the M.Arch on the Pullman campus. The M.Arch, for students entering outside of WSU, is only available in Spokane. "
看来只能选Spokane了,据说这个校园不太好,是这样吗?
谢谢.

Nomad

2002-12-13 19:50 查看他的注册信息   查看他的Blog 给他发送悄悄话 引用并回帖 搜索他发表的帖子 复制到剪贴板. 
不过只适用于IE 收藏这篇帖子
Flowing_w 兄:

Spokane校园如何我不知道,不过他们的师资好像是比较“70年代”的。
嘻嘻!(我一个MM很多年前在Spokane上学,后来患depression。)

Nomad

Flowing_w

2002-12-13 21:23 查看他的注册信息   查看他的Blog 给他发送悄悄话 发送email给 Flowing_w 引用并回帖 搜索他发表的帖子 复制到剪贴板. 
不过只适用于IE 收藏这篇帖子
敬爱的Nomad兄,
根据Pullman的来信(据考证好像是Spokane的Academic Coordinator),与建筑相关的研究生课程有两种,M.Arch & MS Arch,而且只设在Spokane,看来我别无选择.

关于M.Arch,好像是WSU新开的课程, mail上说"Since you already have a B. Arch you do not need an M.Arch.",不明白,M.Arch,不是建筑学硕士吗?

MS Arch,"The MS degree would be the Graduate degree for you.The MS Arch differs from the M.Arch in that it's not a professional degree, it's an advanced research and specialization degree."是说MS Arch是Post-professional degree,为PHD做准备的.

来信建议我改课程(M.Arch-MS Arch),改地点(Pullman-Spokane).等我的回信呢.我很困惑.
请 Nomad帮我看看,指点指点.
万分感谢.

Nomad

2002-12-13 21:37 查看他的注册信息   查看他的Blog 给他发送悄悄话 引用并回帖 搜索他发表的帖子 复制到剪贴板. 
不过只适用于IE 收藏这篇帖子
Flowing_w 兄:

我觉得你如果是要学建筑设计的,要上设计课,不愿意搞书目研究,就应该跟他们说清楚,让他们别浪费你的宝贵时间~~~ (一个学校这样自作多情,真讨厌!)

Nomad

Flowing_w

2002-12-13 21:57 查看他的注册信息   查看他的Blog 给他发送悄悄话 发送email给 Flowing_w 引用并回帖 搜索他发表的帖子 复制到剪贴板. 
不过只适用于IE 收藏这篇帖子
谢谢Nomad兄,好人!

Nomad

2005-10-14 08:55 查看他的注册信息   查看他的Blog 给他发送悄悄话 引用并回帖 搜索他发表的帖子 复制到剪贴板. 
不过只适用于IE 收藏这篇帖子
Nomad wrote:
iowa state univ is in Ames, Iowa. it has a few interesting theorists Bob Segrest, Jennifer Bloomer, Catherine Ingraham, Mark Rakatansky. these are people with reputation. I have not heard of the iowa state univ of science and technology.
刚才在MSN跟一个空降部队 不太说话的ABBSer聊天,他说我上面提到的老师们都不在那儿工作了。他说他的导师叫Marwan,我说这可是美国电视集“24“里面的恐怖分子头目的名字呀。

Nomad

周隽罡

发贴: 3167
2005-10-14 10:52 查看他的注册信息   查看他的Blog 给他发送悄悄话 发送email给 周隽罡 引用并回帖 搜索他发表的帖子 复制到剪贴板. 
不过只适用于IE 收藏这篇帖子
我说这可是美国电视集“24“里面的恐怖分子头目的名字呀。

这么牛比的恐怖分子呀!?
还挺重视教育下一带的,,,,呵呵和,,,,

hannitect

发贴: 121
2005-10-18 11:41 查看他的注册信息   查看他的Blog 给他发送悄悄话 引用并回帖 搜索他发表的帖子 复制到剪贴板. 
不过只适用于IE 收藏这篇帖子
Catherine Ingraham目前在Pratt, NY
http://search.pratt.edu/FMPro?-db=personnel.fp4&-format=perdetail99.htm&-lay=complete&-sortfield=Dean,Chair,Fac,Staff&-sortfield=LastName&-op=cn&FullName=Catherine%20Ingraham&-recid=34878&-find=

Mark Rakatansky也在紐約地區, 遊走於Columbia與Parsons之間...

http://www.mr-studio.com/mrscontents.html
http://www.arch.columbia.edu/gsap/40034/23/4/1738/?data=true!people!faculty.php?start=0!1738
http://www.parsons.edu/faculty_and_staff/faculty_details.aspx?dID=65&sdID=87&pType=2&id=3940

wsTOM

发贴: 251
2006-02-01 21:34 查看他的注册信息   查看他的Blog 给他发送悄悄话 引用并回帖 搜索他发表的帖子 复制到剪贴板. 
不过只适用于IE 收藏这篇帖子
不知Nomad可否知道,哪所学校的Scholarship较容易申请。
还有我在国内的工学硕士(建筑学专业)学位,在美国是否能申请到PHD,
多谢。

Nomad

2006-02-07 19:46 查看他的注册信息   查看他的Blog 给他发送悄悄话 引用并回帖 搜索他发表的帖子 复制到剪贴板. 
不过只适用于IE 收藏这篇帖子
wsTOM wrote:
不知Nomad可否知道,哪所学校的Scholarship较容易申请。
沒有容易申请的,嘻嘻

Nomad

fanling

发贴: 382
2006-02-13 13:41 查看他的注册信息   查看他的Blog 给他发送悄悄话 发送email给 fanling 引用并回帖 搜索他发表的帖子 复制到剪贴板. 
不过只适用于IE 收藏这篇帖子
Nomad wrote:
沒有容易申请的,嘻嘻

Nomad

我所了解到的一些比较主要的建筑学院的消息是:

Princeton的建筑学院只有建筑学一个方向的博士生。每年招收3人左右,而且学校给所有的博士生第一年都是全额奖学金,暑假也不例外,而且第二年开始可以选择作助教,也可以选择继续享受全额奖学金。
最近Princeton大学接受了两亿美元的校友捐款用于媒体、设计、艺术方面。所以建筑学院也能因此受益。其中一部分可能会用于拓展交叉学科的师资和设施,比如建筑学院和艺术考古系合办的媒体和现代性博士生项目等。

MIT虽然项目比较多,但是所有项目每年只招收1-2人,其中至少一人是全额奖学金。(对于这么少的招生人数我觉得很奇怪,但是我询问了几个人都是同样的答复)

Harvard、Columbia、UPenn也差不多3-5人一年不等,但是全奖大概只有一个或者少量。

unicorn

发贴: 209
2006-03-11 00:24 查看他的注册信息   查看他的Blog 给他发送悄悄话 引用并回帖 搜索他发表的帖子 复制到剪贴板. 
不过只适用于IE 收藏这篇帖子
zepher1003 wrote:
PS, For Harvard GSD,
they may admit 3-5 DDes every year,
yet, Ph.D<1 per year.
So..........

3-5 DDes every year for whole program?

hjwu

发贴: 8
2006-03-15 16:13 查看他的注册信息   查看他的Blog 给他发送悄悄话 发送email给 hjwu 引用并回帖 搜索他发表的帖子 复制到剪贴板. 
不过只适用于IE 收藏这篇帖子
To Nomad兄:
小弟学的是规划,现在ISU(Iowa State U) 和IUC(Illinios U of Chcago)都给我了奖.我应该选哪个比较好?谢谢

Nomad

2006-03-18 21:41 查看他的注册信息   查看他的Blog 给他发送悄悄话 引用并回帖 搜索他发表的帖子 复制到剪贴板. 
不过只适用于IE 收藏这篇帖子
hjwu wrote:
To Nomad兄:
小弟学的是规划,现在ISU(Iowa State U) 和IUC(Illinios U of Chcago)都给我了奖.我应该选哪个比较好?谢谢
congratulations! are you studying a masters program or a phd?

Nomad

dragonfly出门

发贴: 20
2006-03-19 12:22 查看他的注册信息   查看他的Blog 给他发送悄悄话 引用并回帖 搜索他发表的帖子 复制到剪贴板. 
不过只适用于IE 收藏这篇帖子
请教Nomad兄:
我看到你关于Iowa State Univ.的一些Theorists的名单,但是我在The College of Design 上面的Faculty没有看到以上这些人呀。是不是都退休了还是什么呢?望指导。
PS:我是学建筑学的,被这个学校录取了。我是读MASTER的。

julyjune

发贴: 2
2006-03-20 16:12 查看他的注册信息   查看他的Blog 给他发送悄悄话 引用并回帖 搜索他发表的帖子 复制到剪贴板. 
不过只适用于IE 收藏这篇帖子
请教nomad 兄,Washington University in St.Louis 怎样?我也是刚拿到offer.想多了解些关于这个学校的情况。多谢多谢!害羞
Ps:如果有时间的话能不能也介绍一下南加州大学的情况呢?呵呵。

Nomad

2006-03-23 07:13 查看他的注册信息   查看他的Blog 给他发送悄悄话 引用并回帖 搜索他发表的帖子 复制到剪贴板. 
不过只适用于IE 收藏这篇帖子
dragonfly出门 wrote:
请教Nomad兄:
我看到你关于Iowa State Univ.的一些Theorists的名单,但是我在The College of Design 上面的Faculty没有看到以上这些人呀。是不是都退休了还是什么呢?望指导。
PS:我是学建筑学的,被这个学校录取了。我是读MASTER的。
hehe! 我幾年前提供的信息不盡可信也

Nomad

Nomad

2006-03-23 07:20 查看他的注册信息   查看他的Blog 给他发送悄悄话 引用并回帖 搜索他发表的帖子 复制到剪贴板. 
不过只适用于IE 收藏这篇帖子
julyjune wrote:
请教nomad 兄,Washington University in St.Louis 怎样?我也是刚拿到offer.想多了解些关于这个学校的情况。多谢多谢!害羞
Ps:如果有时间的话能不能也介绍一下南加州大学的情况呢?呵呵。
那裏有幾個有意思的年輕老師,如Mumford, Leet, Tatom.

Nomad

fanling

发贴: 382
2006-03-23 13:26 查看他的注册信息   查看他的Blog 给他发送悄悄话 发送email给 fanling 引用并回帖 搜索他发表的帖子 复制到剪贴板. 
不过只适用于IE 收藏这篇帖子
Nomad wrote:

Nomad

Mumford's book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0262632632/sr=8-1/qid=1143091206/ref=sr_1_1/103-4895041-3044600?%5Fencoding=UTF8

zepher1003

发贴: 298
2006-03-23 13:35 查看他的注册信息   查看他的Blog 给他发送悄悄话 引用并回帖 搜索他发表的帖子 复制到剪贴板. 
不过只适用于IE 收藏这篇帖子
Nomad wrote:

Nomad

Mumford: 研究建筑理论的老师,不做设计,对CIAM颇有研究。
Tatom: 教都市设计,哈佛的ddes,俞孔坚的同学;不过由于身体原因,已经是力不从心了。(ps:她有点法国小女人的味道-贬义)
Leet: 上过他的studio,有大陆同学说他是浑饭吃的;也有香港朋友评价尚可。

个人觉得很不错的:
Luchini: 西班牙系的建筑师。 Enric Milanes的拥簇者, Enric Milanes在世时,多次邀请其visiting professor 或者 visiting critic.
Gia: 同样西班牙系的建筑师, 推崇Alvar Siza, Enric Milanes. 同时她和Alan Sten, James Corner 有相近的研究课题-field operation, 她称之为landscape architecture urbanism。(ps: 因为她离婚后独自带者三个小孩,对建筑的热情大不如前)
Juhani Palasima: 芬兰自阿而瓦 阿尔托后最好的建筑师,可惜年事已高,不然。。。。

感觉这个学校风格有些奇特, 有西班牙拉丁风格, 有北欧自然主义的影响, 当然,由于缜文彦作过系主任,并且现在还和学校联系密切,自然少不了东亚日本建筑风格。ps: 新的建筑艺术学院就是由缜文彦和安藤设计的,因该马上要完工了。

go to first page go to previous page  1   2  go to next page go to last page

已读帖子
新的帖子
被删帖子

reply to topic
Jump to the top of page

返回ABBS首页 | 设计 | 室内 | 景观 | 建材 | 设备 | 卫浴 | 展览 | 照明

招标服务 | 广告服务 | 招聘服务 | 隐私政策 | 联系我们 | 设为首页

违法、有害信息举报:QQ 1764506 电话 028-61998486